For artificial intelligence in Russian we need to re-think the whole idea of word-recognition as previously implemented in our English AI Minds. In English we did not worry much about word-endings, but in Russian (or German) we need to recognize a verb-form regardless of the number and person in which it is encountered. Since we are using the OutBuffer mechanism to detect and recognize verb-endings, we would like to use the same mechanism to retroactively insert a provisional audpsi identifier on not just the final phoneme of an auditory word-engram but also on the final stem-phoneme and perhaps on each phoneme of the inflected verb-ending. Then we would like to modify the AudRecog module so that it holds onto the provisional audpsi and declares the recognition of a verb in whatever present-tense form it is encountered.
Now we have run the current AI with an Alert box to tell us what is the value of "audpsi" when a second-person singular verb-ending is detected. With the input of "ЗНАЕШЬ" there was no value given for "audpsi", but for "ДЕЛАЕШЬ" a value of "821" was indicated, because the verb-form in its various permutations is provided in the RuBoot sequence.
Yesterday in the AudMem module we had difficulty in waiting for the deposition of an audpsi ultimate-tag and in trying retroactively to insert the tag on the penultimate phonemes of the Russian word being recognized. We were obtaining values for audpsi at times when we expected there to not yet be an audpsi.
Although we try zeroing out audpsi at the end of AudMem, it looks as though further use of "audpsi" is required in the AudListen module and in the AudInput module, where finally audpsi is converted to
oldpsi for use in the OldConcept module.
It turns out that AudListen calls AudInput when a space-bar is reached during keyboard entry of a word. The AudInput module, without using AudMem, directly stores an audpsi ultimate-tag retroactively by using the "tult" value. Therefore we should be trying to insert additional "audpsi" tags in AudInput and not in AudMem.
3. Sun.15.JAN.2012 -- Auditory Stem-Tagging
We have gradually learned that the AudInput module will not let us readjust values of audpsi on a word from within an if-clause testing for a value of zero on the "aud4" or ctu continuation-flag. Therefore we may need to introduce a secondary if-clause in order to make each phoneme of the word carry the audpsi tag.
We developed a suspicion that something was not letting a positive audpsi be inserted after any phoneme with an "aud4" continuation-flag "ctu" of one. We searched for "aud4 ==" and in audDamp we found the conditional "if (aud4 == 1) aud5 = 0". This obscure line of code made us spend one or two days of work in trying to comprehend why we could not "backfill" the audpsi value onto phonemes prior to the final phoneme of a word.
When we commented out the offending line in audDamp, we began to notice unwarranted carry-overs of an old audpsi onto the first phoneme of the subsequent word. To correct that problem, audpsi will need to be reset to zero in at least one additional location. Actually, we had to reset "morphpsi" to zero at the end of AudRecog to solve the problem.
4. Sun.15.JAN.2012 -- Russian Verb Stem Recognition
Now in AudRecog we need to set up provisional recognition of Russian verb-stems. We create a "provrec" variable for "provisional recognition" and we use it to detect the early presence of "audpsi" tags before the end of a word is reached. Dushka begins to recognize incoming Russian verbs and to generate incorrect but on-target sentences using the recognized verb in the infinitive form. It remains to use the AudBuffer mechanism and the parameters of person and number to generate the output of a Russian verb in the proper gramatical form.
Table of Contents (TOC)